Which bird is it? With just five questions or a picture of a bird, Merlin Bird ID can help you find the answer.
Merlin starts by posing some straightforward questions to you. The list of birds that most closely match your description is revealed, seemingly by magic. Once you’ve decided on a bird, explore more of its images, sounds, and identification advice!
Merlin can also assist with a photo if you have one. Merlin’s potent AI will immediately offer an identification after you take a picture, select one from your camera roll, or take a picture through your zoom camera’s viewfinder.
Merlin is entertaining and straightforward to use, whether your goal is to identify every bird that visits your feeder or you want to learn more about a bird you’ve only ever seen once.
- Designed for birders and bird watchers of all skill levels, Merlin recognizes the 2,000+ most prevalent bird species found in North America, Central America, Europe, and Canada.
- Merlin now uses powerful deep-learning algorithms to recognize a photograph. When you choose a photo and tell Merlin where and when it was taken, a small list of possible identifications will appear.
- Bird packs are available for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Guatemala, Belize, and Costa Rica; additional packages will be available soon.
- A list of the species seen in the region allows you to search for birds by location and date.
- Sensible outcomes. Stop looking through a myriad of options! Merlin displays the nearby birds that match your criteria.
- Tools specific to your location and year-round produce the most outstanding results.
- It is powered by eBird, which uses millions of sightings reported by bird watchers across North America to offer the most precise results. Enjoy more than 15,000 images of various bird species, including adults, juveniles, and males.
- Hear expert ID advice from Cornell Lab of Ornithology staff members.
- Enjoy listening to the enchanting bird calls and songs from the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
- Everything is free! The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s mission is to educate people like you and countless others about birds.
- With regional packs for the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, Southwest, Texas and Oklahoma, Alaska, and the West Coast, Merlin Bird ID offers assistance with bird identification for the entire United States.
- Packs for Eastern and Western Canada cover the entire country.
- For every region of Mexico, bird identification is accessible.
- Belize, Guatemala, and Costa Rica are all part of the Central America packs.
- The Colombian region of Medelln is included in South American packs.
- Our Great Britain and Ireland pack, a Western Europe pack, and a Scandinavian countries pack all offer assistance with European bird identification.
Due to these packs, Merlin is the ideal pocket. Bird Guide to North America, Bird Guide to Mexico, Bird Guide to Guatemala, Belize, Bird Guide to Costa Rica, Bird Guide to Europe, Bird Guide to Great Britain, and Bird Guide to Scandinavia.
Merlin is an excellent tool that helps you identify the most common birds in your area. With just a few pictures, Merlin can quickly identify the bird you’re looking at.
You can also use Merlin to learn more about the bird you’ve just spotted and identify it to species. Merlin will do this by pulling up the species account of the bird and displaying the relevant information. You can also expand the feature to include other features, such as range maps and bird songs.
When you use Merlin, you’re feeding the AI of millions of users worldwide and letting it learn from their accounts and photos. Over time, it will become increasingly accurate at identifying birds.
What makes Merlin a great resource is that Merlin will keep getting better as you use it. You can help shape the future of Merlin by providing feedback about the features you like best.